The Murray Bridge Discovery Trail gives tourists a 2.5-kilometre loop dotted walk with informational signs.
It starts and finish at the Murray Bridge Visitor Information Centre and takes in Bridge and Sixth Streets, the railway station which gave the city its name, the historic Round House, the road and rail bridges, the train carriages at Sturt Reserve and the gardens on Wharf Hill.
Along the way, visitors will also learn about the area’s Ngarrindjeri and European history, including the stories of Captain Charles Sturt, the Edwards family and the construction of the first bridge across the Murray River; river trade through Port Mobilong; the 1956 flood; and the Murray Cods, the rowers who represented Australia at the 1924 Olympic Games.
The Murray Bridge Discovery Trail is a project of the Rural City of Murray Bridge with contributions from The Murray Bridge and District Historical Society, and historic data collated by the late Harold McLaren. All information is correct at the time of printing. June 2017